Monday, March 5, 2012

Where There's A Will There's A Way

It’s so funny, only when something goes wrong that we begin to take things seriously. It hits us so hard that we quickly wake up from deep slumber, realize the gravity of it and against all odds try to face the obstacle positively. Recently I was advised by my doctor and the dietician to adapt a change in my eating habits due to raised sugar levels in my system. The first thing to be removed from my ‘carte du jour’ was my cup of tea which over the years, I have thoroughly relished at the crack of dawn and the many additional; in times of joy, sorrow and when ever I am stressed out. Subsequently my intake of carbohydrates had to be reduced. Quite taken aback at the food chart given to me by the dietician,I was wondering how I was going to abide by those strict guidelines. Although this was happening so suddenly, somewhere at the back of my mind I had an instinct that I may possibly inherit it from my genes. To become accustomed to this new lifestyle isn’t going to be an easy mission, especially when I have to give up my obsession for tea.

That was a few weeks ago. It took me some time  to come to terms regarding my newly detected health issue. After analysing and comprehending the magnitude of the whole problem, I have stepped up with a totally new confidence in me. Like a mantra, I constantly keep repeating that I don’t want the ‘diabetes’ to take control of my life. And that’s when I decided to take the initiative to make amends: for me and for the sake of my dear family. The assistance and guidance from the hospital educator and the dietician and a few articles I read on diabetes have thoroughly convinced me that’s it left up to me to make drastic changes fast. A healthy diet comprising mostly unrefined plant food - mostly raw or only cooked lightly, and lots of greens, can keep the sugar levels in my body under control and even reverse the diabetics according to recent studies.

As this is just the beginning, I am prescribed only one medicine and have been advised to control the food I eat and be physically active. And that’s what I am doing now.With correct medication, proper food and exercise I am told that I will be able to maintain normal sugar levels.

All the way through my adult life I have been someone who has never done any kind of exercise and incidentally my new year resolution this time was to do some sort of work out to shed off some extra pounds. Who would have thought it was going to be accomplished sooner: at the cost of my high sugar!

Thanks due to my dear Hubby and children who have given me immense moral support and encouragement in my effort to lose weight.

Another of my favourite which I have to consume sparingly

5 comments:

  1. Bless your heart... I really hesitate to mention this, and yet feel I would be remiss if I didn't. I strongly urge you to read this book:

    http://www.amazon.com/Liberation-Diet-Setting-America-Misinformation/dp/1439207399/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331034469&sr=8-1

    They have used copies available on that website for about $12.00. If you are interested, you might want to check with your library soon.

    I personally believe you are being given very poor advice, well meaning, but in the long run, not the best for you and your family.

    Please forgive me for being so forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor you:( Please take care of your diet. May be with proper diet and exercise you will be able to reduce weight. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you love2spin and CloudNine for your concern..I have subscribed for diet and diabetes newsletters at WEB-MD and have been regularly updated with loads of information.My target goal for weight loss is 20 kg,which I am presently working on..Thank you again.God Bless You!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi aynzan, I don't have diabetes, but I have taken care of many patients with type 1 and 2 diabetes. I am not sure why you have to stop drinking tea - just be wise about the type of sweetener you use, if you use. According to Web MD (http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20050420/black-tea-green-tea-good-for-diabetes), black and green tea have been shown by rat studies to help diabetes. I know some herbal teas have also been shown to help diabetes. Diabetes is a rather complicated disease that can lead to many complications if not treated properly, but don't look at it like it is a terrible thing. Learn all you can, including the glycemic index. You can still eat great foods that won't only help control sugar levels, but will also help prevent many other diseases. Make exercising fun, such as walking in nature or dancing. It is very possible for people with type 2 diabetes to control their levels without taking medications (may need initially). Monitor your levels closely. I personally recommend finding a good book written by a naturopathic doctor. I wish you well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diana for your kind advice, that was enlightening.Yes..I have been asked to avoid tea by my dietician and to switch over to low fat milk. have already lost a couple of kilos since I started my '30 minute-a day -walking'.Now I am on a reading spree,anything titled diabetes, grabs my attention.:)

      Delete