Sunday, July 12, 2009

Crunchy-Brunch Time!




One lazy winter mid-morning, after an early breakfast, my children wanted some snacks to nibble, just to while away the chilly weather. But unfortunately, I had run out of snacks. Under heavy pressure from my foursome, I was compelled to rummage in the kitchen cabinet. I got hold of a packet of instant mushroom cream instead! While preparing this according to the given instructions, my eldest daughter asked me to add something crunchy to it, so I added carrots to the creamy broth! That was just the beginning... they all seemed to enjoy and eat it without any fuss. The next time I made it, my younger daughter suggested it would taste even better if I added something else to it, so I simply added cabbages! Soon I realised they loved it, Mmm..did'n't I encourage..?? Every visit to the supermarket,I tend to purchase extras and pile it in my kitchen cabinet. And thereafter whenever I made this, one of my four, would haphazardly request me to add this and that. Occasionally some boiled chicken too would be stirred into it. Now you can just imagine the composition of such a mixture.. how it ended up as a soup of a different kind!!! In all conscience,I thought this was a clever approach to get them to eat their vegetables...
Isn't this appetizing and wholesome eating!!!


Try this, your children may love it! Enjoy


Basic Recipe -

1 packet of instant cream of mushroom (68 kg)
1 litre of water
1/2 a cup of chicken (previously boiled)
2 cabbage leaves/one stalk of leek-shredded
1 medium carrot cut into cubes
1 medium turnip cut into cubes
1/2 teaspoon pepper
A pinch of salt
For garnishing
2-3 cubes of butter
A few chopped celery
2-3 boiled, diced mushrooms


For Preparing -

Whisk the instant cream of mushroom in the water and bring in to the boil. Keep stirring, so that no lumps form. Gently stir in the carrots, turnips, shredded leek/cabbage, add pepper and salt (according to taste) and cook for 5 minutes. Lower the flame and add the boiled, shredded chicken into the broth, stir and simmer for 10 minutes. Garnish the butter and celery leaves/mushrooms. Serve hot (servings 4).

No comments:

Post a Comment